"There is no force so democratic as the force of an ideal."
The answers are at the end of the quiz.
26. The paper used in U.S. currency is manufactured where?
27. The state has one nuclear power plant. Where?
28. Boston was the site of the nation's first subway system, constructed when?
29. The airport in Boston is called what?
a. Logan International Airport
b. East Boston Airport
c. Atlantic International Airport
30. Who said, "We say the cows laid out Boston. Well, there are worse surveyors."?
a. Cory Atkins
b. Christopher Fallon
c. Ralph Waldo Emerson
31. The earliest settlers were what?
32. In the 1840s, what in Ireland drove many Irish to Massachusetts?
a. the potato famine
b. the strawberry shortage
c. a flu epidemic
33. Founded in Massachusetts in 1635, what is America's first secondary school?
a. Roxbury High School
b. Boston Latin School
c. Brookline High School
34. What is the oldest college in the United States, chartered in 1636?
a. Harvard University
c. Boston College
35. In 1834, what advocate of higher education for women helped organize Wheaton Female Seminary, which later became Wheaton College?
a. Melissa Hurley
b. Mary Lyon
c. Carol A. Donovan
36. Where is Mount Holyoke College?
a. South Hadley
37. Who was the first secretary of the Massachusetts board of education?
a. Susan C. Fargo
b. Stephen F. Lynch
c. Horace Mann
38. Where was the nation's first state normal school located?
39. In what year did Massachusetts become the first state to pass legislation making school attendance mandatory?
40. When was the Massachusetts Institute of Technology founded?
41. Where is Radcliffe College located?
42. Where is Tufts University located?
43. What year was Boston University founded?
44. Where is Boston College located?
a. Chestnut Hill
45. Clark University and the College of the Holy Cross are where?
46. Where is Brandeis University located?
47. Smith College is where?
48. Amherst College and Hampshire College are located where?
49. Where is Williams College?
50. What is the largest university library in the United States?
a. MIT Library
b. Harvard University Library
c. Amherst College Library
Massachusetts Quiz, Part One
Massachusetts Quiz, Part Three
Massachusetts Writers of the Past
Answers: 26-c, 27-a, 28-b, 29-a, 30-c, 31-c, 32-a, 33-b, 34-a, 35-b, 36-a, 37-c, 38-a, 39-c, 40-a, 41-b, 42-a, 43-c, 44-a, 45-b, 46-a, 47-b, 48-c, 49-a, 50-b
Great Novels on Film
Have You Watched a Good Book Lately?
Great Plays on Film
A Front Row Seat
Great Big Business Films
Great Chick Flicks
Classic Books on Film
Classic Comedy Films
Civil War Films
Great Disaster Films
Hollywood's Best: The 1930s
Hollywood's Best: The 1940s
Hollywood's Best: The 1950s
Great Courtroom Films
Classic Mystery & Suspense Films
Classic Romance Films
Korean War Films
Great Royalty Films
Exciting Spy Films
U.S. History on Film
Writers on Film
The Film Buff's Quiz
Escape from Quiet Desperation
The Carriage House
Mel's Boarding House
That Year in Saigon
Philosophers of Western Civilization
French Writers of the Past
Jewish Writers of the Past
Famous Teachers of the Past
Humorists, Wits, and Satirists of the Past
Irish Writers of the Past
American Women Writers of the Past
Memories Are Like Clouds
English Writers of the Past
A Saigon Party:
And Other Vietnam War Short Stories